CPD Credit: 7 hours, C3
ELearning Course Available
This course is also available as an eLearning module that can be taken any time, any place and at your own pace. Click here for further information.
The aim of this course is to give engineers a solid grounding in finance thus enabling them to make a more effective contribution within their business.
Most engineers have no formal training in reading and interpreting financial information, however, in excess of 90% of engineers, confirm that knowledge of finance is important for career progression.This course has been specially designed for engineers/engineering managers with a view to encouraging them to play a more active role in the day-to-day finances of their business. Engineers need to be aware of issues such as cost reduction and capital investment and how their decisions can affect the financial statements.
The course will provide practical insight into the area of company finance and identify useful tools that can be used by engineers to make better business decisions.
- The big picture. Why it is important for engineers to understand financial statements and how this can affect career progression and lifestyle
- Fundamental financial differences between well-established large companies and small companies
- Understanding the profit & loss account and the balance sheet
- Cash flow is the lifeblood of business (an introduction)
- Ratio analysis – extracting and interpreting key financial ratios from financial statements
- Costing – an introduction
This course has been developed to provide the learner with a solid understanding of how to read financial statements and extract important data/trends relating to the performance of the business. It will provide participants with a set of ‘core financial skills’ to help them communicate more effectively with colleagues in other sectors of the business, as well as external to the business.
Who Should Attend?
This course is suitable for engineers of all levels who are interested in learning about finance.
Eugene Daly is a Chartered Engineer with over 25 years’ experience working with Irish SME’s, multinational and state companies. He worked for Enterprise Ireland, acting as a business consultant in the field of operations management and for six years worked in "financial due diligence" (i.e., analysing business plans of companies seeking to raise finance to grow).
He holds an MBA from Henley Business School. Currently, he is self-employed and has a keen interest in promoting financial acumen among engineers/scientists.
- "Eugene is very enthusiastic about the course content and his positive energy in the delivery was very much appreciated"
- "Well presented – interesting, good examples"
- "Interesting, well delivered! Thank you"
- "Educational and informative. Eugene is knowledgeable and passionate"
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org