We have created this Privacy Statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to the privacy of your information and to explain to you our use of your information. The www.engineersireland.ie website (the “Website”) is operated by the Institution of Engineers of Ireland trading as Engineers Ireland (“we”, “us”, “our”, “Engineers Ireland”). In order to fully understand your rights, we encourage you to read this Privacy Statement and to consult our Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”).
This Privacy Statement (together with the Terms and any other documents referred to) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. If you are under 16 years of age, please read this Privacy Statement with a parent or guardian to make sure you understand it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Acts 1988-2003, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 and any national implementing legislation (the “applicable Data protection law”), Engineers Ireland is the Data Controller.
2. Information we may collect from you
We collect and process the following information:
- Information that you provide to us when using this Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use this Website, subscribing to our services or purchasing goods, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us, or our partners and when you report a problem with the Website.
- Information you provide to us when applying through the Website for membership of Engineers Ireland, which will typically include your name and contact details and details of your relevant educational qualifications and work experience.
- In group email initiatives including but not limited to, the weekly Training and Events Update, Engineers Journal email; Connect Corporate Newsletter, relating to email open rates, click-throughs, deliverability and site visits. This information is kept for the sole use of quality assurance and improving our email content and deliverability. You can unsubscribe from any email initiative using the links in the email footer of each individual email.
- If you contact us for any reason, we may keep a record of that correspondence for as long as it is necessary regarding the nature of your contact.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them. We will always give you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving such correspondence.
- Details of transactions through the Website to which you are a party and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and other communication data and the resources, advertisements and linked sites that you access.
- Other personal information such as telephone recordings, CCTV images at our offices, web casts and images from conferences and other Engineers Ireland events.
- Sometimes we may use your information when you are not a member. For example, a supporter for a membership application, a potential member or customer applying for one of our services, a volunteer or an employee or a job applicant.
3. Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. In all such cases Engineers Ireland will only transfer such data where there is an adequate level of data protection in that country that is no less protective than that which is provided in Ireland.
4. How we use your information
We use information held about you:
- To ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes or where it is in the legitimate interests of Engineers Ireland to provide you with this information;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Website;
- To notify you about changes to our Website and/or services.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about our goods and services which may be of interest to you (e.g. CPD Courses, publications) and we or our agents may contact you about these by post, email and telephone. You are free to unsubscribe and opt-out of this communication at any time and we will always provide you with a way of doing so. If you are happy for us to use your data in this way please tick the relevant boxes when we collect your contact preferences.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you (such as email, voicemail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous transaction with you.
We do not, without your consent, disclose information about identifiable individuals to third parties, but we may send anonymised statistical data to them for research and survey purposes. We may also use such information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, those in the engineering profession). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience. We use Google analytics – information on this can be obtained at www.google.com/analytics.
Engineers Ireland does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties.
Engineers Ireland may, from time to time, contact you on behalf of external business partners about a particular offering that may be of interest to you. In those cases, your unique personally identifiable information (e-mail, name, address, telephone number) is not transferred to the third party. In addition, Engineers Ireland may share data with trusted partners to help us perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or arrange for deliveries. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to Engineers Ireland, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
Engineers Ireland does not gather special category data, such as race, religion, or political affiliations, from you.
The Engineers Ireland Website will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
(a) conform with a legal obligation;
(b) protect and defend the rights or property of Engineers Ireland; or
(c) to protect the personal safety of users of Engineers Ireland, or the public.
5. Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries or data processers working directly on our behalf for a specified purpose, for example, an external event management company obtaining delegate registrations for our annual conference. They do not keep this information and it is only used for the purpose we contract them for. We may disclose your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Engineers Ireland, our members, or others.
6. Safeguarding your personal information
We endeavour to use appropriate security measures at all times to protect your data. The Website has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These security measures include SSL certificates to ensure encrypted data is received as it was sent, cookies and secure servers not accessible from anywhere but the Engineers Ireland Virtual Private Network (VPN). However, as no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you transfer the data at your own risk.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about how you browse our Website and is not specific enough to identify any individual user.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general Internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. Cookies help us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate usage numbers and patterns;
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our Website according to your individual interests;
- To speed up your searches;
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
8. Your rights
We hope you are satisfied with the way in which we use your information. However, you have the right to tell us if you:
- Don't want to be contacted in the future by us;
- Would like a copy of the personal information which we hold about you;
- Would like us to correct, update, or delete your personal information in our records;
- Wish to report any misuse of your personal information.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights please do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at Engineers Ireland, 22 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin D04 R3N2.
We hope you are happy with how we use your information but if you are not, you may lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner at email@example.com
9. Acceptance of this Privacy Statement
By your use of this Website, you signify that you have read this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with or you are not comfortable with any aspect of the Privacy Statement, we recommend that you discontinue use of the Website and your engagement with us.
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time. Your continued use of any portion of the Website following notification or posting of such changes will constitute your acknowledgment of those changes.
(May 18 2018)
Engineers Ireland, 22 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin D04R3N2, Ireland | Tel: +353 (0)1 665 1300
Policy on Retention of Data
Individuals applying for membership of Engineers Ireland and for acceptance for membership and registered title must provide personal data so that their applications can be considered in line with the assessment criteria used by Engineers Ireland which is in the context of the statutory obligations of Engineers Ireland and in accordance with the various international agreements to which Engineers Ireland is committed.
The data requested by Engineers Ireland relates primarily to the individual applicants contact information and details of their qualifications and work experience.
Once individuals have been elected to membership or registered title, the data will be retained as Engineers Ireland has a legal obligation to maintain a register of Chartered Engineers and the other registered titles.
Individuals may also provide bank or credit card details in order to pay the application fee or annual subscription.
If an individual resigns from membership or is removed from membership for non-payment of subscription their records will be retained on the register for a period of 3 years. This is in order to keep a record of the titles awarded and in the case that they request to be reinstated, to save them the inconvenience of again going through the assessment process, submitting qualification certificates, attending professional interviews etc.
Engineers Ireland will on occasion communicate important regulation updates or seek customer service feedback from lapsed members and their data will be used for this non-commercial purpose.
If after 3 years they have not requested to be reinstated, their details will be removed from the register and will be archived to an offline system. This system will only be assessed if needed and then with limited access. At no time will the offline system be accessible externally.
For individuals who have commenced the membership application process but have not completed the process or were not successful in the process their data will be retained for a period of 3 years in case they wish to reapply for membership.
Refer a friend terms and conditions
Wherever these words or expressions appear in these Terms and Conditions of scheme the following shall apply.
- “€100” means a OneForAll voucher to the value of “€100”, no alternative is available.
- Referrer means an existing fully paid up active member of Engineers Ireland who refers a friend under this scheme.
- Referred means a person who is a friend of the Referrer who has not submitted an application for membership with Engineers Ireland in the last 2 years and has not been an active Engineers Ireland member for at least 4 years.
- Payment means a OneForAll voucher to the value of €100
By making a referral under the Engineers Ireland Refer a Friend Scheme, both the Referrer and the Referred agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the scheme as set out herein. In order to qualify for the payment under the Refer a Friend Scheme the following Terms and Conditions apply:
- In order to receive the payment, the Referred must have the membership number of the Referrer available to quote when submitting the initial application for membership. Membership Numbers submitted after the initial application will not be deemed eligible for the Refer a Friend Scheme payment.
- Payment will not be made to the Referrer until the Referred is elected to membership with Engineers Ireland and annual subscription fees are paid in full. The Referred shall not be eligible for our discounted subscription rates, full subscriptions fees apply.
- The Referred must apply for membership through official Engineers Ireland referral channels which are over the phone with our Membership Team, via our paper application form or online via our online application form at www.engineersireland.ie
- Payment will not be given for referrals that were made prior to the launch date of the Refer a Friend Scheme (Insert commencement date)
- The Referrer will not receive payment if the Engineers Ireland membership number of the Referrer is not provided accurately by the Referred. The Referrer must ensure that Engineers Ireland Membership Team has their correct contact details to guarantee receipt of payment.
- The Referrer is limited to a maximum of three referrals during the period of the Refer a Friend Scheme and no party shall receive any payment where such number is exceeded.
- Engineers Ireland reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to exclude any person from the “Engineers Ireland Refer a Friend Scheme if, in its reasonable opinion, Engineers Ireland believes that the Referrer or Referred is acting fraudulently or in bad faith.
- Please note employees of Engineers Ireland can not avail of this scheme.
Engineers Ireland reserves the right to vary or amend these terms and conditions at any time, where in its opinion there is a valid commercial, technical or operational reason to do so.
Terms and Conditions
I hereby apply for membership of Engineers Ireland. I undertake that if elected I will abide by the Code of Ethics and Bye-laws and the Membership Regulations of Engineers Ireland.
I agree that the College(s) from which I graduated may release details of my qualifications to Engineers Ireland. I accept responsibility for the accuracy of the particulars contained in this form including my qualifications and I agree that if admitted to membership the validity of my admission shall depend upon the accuracy of such particulars.
I agree that an administration fee can apply as outlined in the Engineers Ireland rates should the application be withdrawn. I agree that upon applying for membership or reinstating membership, the 20% administration fee will apply in the following cases:
- to individuals who do not pay the compulsory reinstatement fee within 30 days of submitting an online application
- to applications that are withdrawn prior to final decision of the Membership and Qualifications Board on the application
I agree to the Engineers Ireland Privacy Statement and Policy on Retention of Data. I agree that if applying for membership through the Refer a Friend Scheme to have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the scheme.