CPD Credit: 7 hours, C1
This course will review different earth support options and present the fundamental principles of earth and water pressures relevant to earth retaining structures. Design examples of embedded and gravity retaining structures to Eurocodes will be presented and the practical aspects of their construction will be discussed.
The course is organised into the following five modulus and two workshops over the course of one day:
- General introduction to earth retaining structures
- Design of Earth Retaining Structures to Eurocode 7
- Design of sheet pile retaining wall
- Design of gravity retaining wall
- Design of secant and contiguous retaining wall
- Workshops on:
- Cantilever sheet pile wall
- Anchored Quay Wall
- An understanding of the types of earth retaining structures that are available
- An understanding of the fundamental principles of the design of earth retaining structures
- An appreciation of the practical aspect of the design and construction of earth retaining structures
- The design of both temporary and permanent earth retaining structures.
- The design requirements of Eurocode and how the partial factors are applied.
Who Should Attend?
This course would be suitable for civil and geotechnical engineers, construction site-engineers and technicians working on civil, building and infrastructure projects, as well as engineering geologists and geologists interested in these topics.
Dr Eric R Farrell, BA, BAI, MS, PhD, CEng, FIEI, MICE,FGS. Senior Consultant/Director AGL Consulting
Dr Farrell has provided geotechnical advice on a wide range of major infrastructural and commercial projects for over 40 years and have also acted as an expert witness in major conciliations, arbitrations and legal disputes. He was a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering in Trinity College for 28 years, and as adjunct Associate Professor until 2013. He has advised contractors and consultants on the geotechnical aspects of many projects in Ireland and abroad and has also been heavily involved in the development of the Eurocode on Geotechnical Design.
Dr Kevin Flynn, BA, BAI, PhD, CEng, MIEI, RoGEP Specialist. Principal Geotechnical Enigneer, AGL Consulting
Dr Kevin Flynn is a Principal Geotechnical Engineer at AGL Consulting. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering from Trinity College and a PhD in Geotechnical Engineering from NUI Galway. He has extensive experience in the design of pile foundations and embedded pile retaining walls on over 100 projects in Ireland and has also authored several publications on pile behaviour, driveability and interpretation of instrumented pile tests. He is a Registered Ground Engineering Specialist and an active committee member of the Geotechnical Society of Ireland.
Engineers Ireland supports the Sustainable Development Goals. This event contributes to Engineers Ireland's Sustainability Framework.
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org