CPD Credit: 7 hours, C1
This course will discuss practical and theoretical aspects of design and construction of foundations, embankments, levees, and other structures on soft ground, including peat. Design examples will be given and approximate methods of assessing the risk of failure will be presented.
The course is organised into the following five modulus and two workshops over the course of one day:
- Critical ground parameters for soft ground engineering
- Design of embankment on soft ground
- Design of foundations on soft ground
- Ground Investigations for soft ground engineering
- Discussion of design & construction options in soft ground engineering
- Workshops on:
- Assessing embankment stability
- Estimating amount of settlement and rate of settlement
- An understanding of the behaviour of soft soils
- The assessment of the undrained shear strength of soft soils
- An appreciation of the practical aspect of the design and construction of on soft soils and peat
- The design requirements of Eurocode in relation to soft soils and how the partial factors are applied.
Who Should Attend?
This course would be suitable for civil and geotechnical engineers, construction site-engineers and technicians working on civil, building and infrastructure projects, as well as engineering geologists and geologists interested in these topics.
Dr Eric R Farrell, BA, BAI, MS, PhD, CEng, FIEI, MICE,FGS. Senior Consultant/Director AGL Consulting
Dr Farrell has provided geotechnical advice on a wide range of major infrastructural and commercial projects for over 40 years, and have also acted as an expert witness in major conciliations, arbitrations and legal disputes. He was a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering in Trinity College for 28 years, and as adjunct Associate Professor until 2013. He has advised contractors and consultants on the geotechnical aspects of many projects in Ireland and abroad and has also been heavily involved in the development of the Eurocode on Geotechnical Design.
Ms Niamh Farrell, BA, BAI, PhD, CEng, MIEI, RoGEP Specialist. Principal Geotechnical Engineer, AGL Consulting
Ms. Niamh Farrell is a Principal Geotechnical Engineer with AGL Consulting and has over 10 years experience as a geotechnical engineer in Ireland. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering from Trinity College Dublin and is a registered Specialist with the Register of Ground Engineering Professionals. Ms. Farrell has extensive experience in the design of ground investigations and embankments in soft ground areas. Ms. Farrell has specified ground investigation specifically catered to characterise the extent, depth, and behaviour of soils such as peats, calcareous silts and soft alluvial soils and has carried out designs for road schemes which involved construction of embankments on these low strength, compressible materials.
Engineers Ireland supports the Sustainable Development Goals. This event contributes to Engineers Ireland's Sustainability Framework
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email email@example.com