4-week evening course
CPD Credit: 12 hours, C4
Irish-based engineering employers are attracting more and more engineers and technicians with English as a second language. Whilst they may possess excellent technical English, they are often keen to improve their general business English in an engineering context.
Who should attend?
The course is aimed at engineers and technicians with English as a second language who already possess an intermediate level of English but who are looking for the opportunity to improve and practise in a safe, focused environment.
This four-week language programme will help you develop your business English in an engineering context allowing you to use professional language more accurately and confidently.
This course has been designed to enable engineers and technicians with English as a second language to enhance and develop their spoken and written use of the language. Through a series of targeted classes, students will become aware of useful grammar, phrases and skills that can improve their command of the language in a professional context boosting fluency. Classes are interactive and encourage discussion and speaking throughout.
- Day 1 – Describing Process: Using key verbs and linking words to identify and articulate stages in planning an engineering project. Describing a process in your work.
- Day 2 – Technical language: Review of grammar tenses and key vocabulary to describe technical terms and functions. Materials and equipment vocabulary.
- Day 3 –Reporting Skills: Interactive case study, error correction and vocabulary session. Techniques on logging and using technical vocabulary.
- Day 4 – Effective Responses: An interactive class with listening, responding to a live call, simulated meeting, using business language in context.
- Day 5 – Writing: How to document and effectively communicate in business emails and reports, revision of writing skills.
- Day 6 – Presenting: Delivering a presentation. Focus on speaking. Using key language learned. Pronunciation and error correction.
- Day 7 – Career goals and skills: Describing your role, reading skills, setting targets and smart goals. Focus on key verbs and vocabulary for your CV.
- Day 8 – Key Phrases: Looking at common phrasal verbs, colloquial language used in business conversation on the phone and in presentations.
- Achieve confidence in business English
- Practise professional and technical terminology
- Using a unique step-by-step process, strengthen and develop your language skills
- Enhance vocabulary and communication skills
- Improve fluency and pronunciation
John Kavanagh has been a teacher and trainer for 15 years in Germany and Ireland. As a result of his work, he has set up True Learning, a training house, which specialises in ESP (English for specific purposes). Courses include presentation and interview skills, Business language, technical English, exam training, and pronunciation.
John has an effective style and consistently gets results. His classes are tailored specifically to your needs and offer creative, focused, and enjoyable material. He works with International engineering clients and multinational companies providing in-house language training while also developing his own individual courses in English for Business. Visit: www.instagram.com/true_learning
- Rafaela Christ da Silva, Arup: “The teacher is very nice and approachable, material is also very good, and the classes are really helpful.”
- “I would have liked to have additional lessons. The course was very helpful”
- “The course was clear and detailed. Every opportunity for the students to ask questions was provided. I was very impressed with John teaching methods and how he involved the students in each class. I really appreciated it!”
- “The course was wonderful, John knows exactly the type of vocabulary and expressions we need as non-natives to feel more at ease when communicating in English at work. He's a fantastic instructor and I enjoyed quite a lot the exchange with the rest of the participants. It was a lovely course, thanks for organising and delivering it.”
- “The training materials and aids were useful. The information presented in the materials was tailored to my needs. The audio-visual aids and presentations were of good quality.”
- “Thank you! This course met my expectations. It was well run and organized. Excellent training and trainer!”
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org