CPD Credit: 5 hours, C3 / C4
In a recent UK survey, the top three challenges facing women engineers were identified as:
- Barriers to progression
- Lack of mentorship
- Workplace culture
To support the retention and advancement of women engineers, Engineers Ireland is offering a new workshop to its female members, aiming to empower participants to address these challenges.
This CPD workshop will look to identify strategies to meet challenges that women engineers may face in their careers and will offer practical advice on understanding leadership and help to create a professional brand.
- Discussion on the main challenges that women engineers face in their careers
- Identifying strategies to meet these challenges
- Looking at the importance of networking: learning to intentionally and strategically build and utilise networks
Optional Interim Exercise: Networking mind map and plan
- Understanding leadership – clarifying the difference between managing and leading
- Creating a professional brand
- Managing difficult conversations
- Influencing and negotiation
To maximise the benefits of these sessions, each participant will be offered an individual one to one conversation with Dawn Leane, to discuss any issue that is relevant to their development. Dawn Leane is a qualified Executive Coach and Mentor.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is aimed at women in engineering with between 5-15 years’ experience. It will be especially suited to those in managerial/supervisory roles, and for those preparing for promotion into a managerial role.
Dawn Leane has long had an interest in leadership development. During her role as Director of People and Resources with Chartered Accountants Ireland she worked closely with boards, leadership teams and individuals across a number of sectors. Prior to taking up this role Dawn contributed in a variety of industries including manufacturing, publishing, recruitment, education and the charity sector.
Having observed how some organisations have succeeded in promoting diversity at senior levels while others struggled to do so ignited Dawn’s curiosity. Rather than simply implementing policies of compliance when trying to create a more diverse workforce, Dawn believes organisations should focus on developing a culture of diversity and leadership among staff members.LeaneLeaders was established to support organisations and individuals on their journey to inclusive leadership.
- “I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it inspiring and informative.”
- “Dawn was excellent in her delivery. The small group facilitated plenty of open discussion. This contributed to a late finish on both days. On the second day I missed some content as I had a meeting to attend. However, this was the only (and a slight!) negative. I think every woman in engineering would benefit from attending this course. I would attend the same course again in the future for a recap!”
- Georgina Molloy, Scaffold Design Ireland: “Excellent, highly recommend. I loved the course and would highly recommend it to other female engineers.”
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email email@example.com