CPD Credit: 7 hours, C1
The aim of this course is to provide an introduction to the fundamentals of electrical buildings services design.
This course provides an introduction to electrical services. It deals with the hazards of electricity and the associated rules and regulations in relation to safety including the Wiring Rules and Building Regulations. The course also provides a brief overview of the wide range of electrical service to be found in modern buildings such as:
- Power systems including MV and LV power distribution, generator and UPS systems
- Lighting services including interior and exterior installations
- Life safety systems including fire alarm, fire suppression and emergency lighting systems
- Building Management Systems (BMS), Security and Telecommunications Services
The course can precede or follow on from Fundamentals of M&E Consultancy.
At the end of the course attendees will have learned and understood the range of electrical service to be found in modern buildings as outlined in the programme below:
- Section 1 - Electrical Services Design - Overview
- Section 2 - Understanding the Hazards of Electricity
- Section 3 - Electrical Safety Standards – The Rules and Regs
- Section 4 - The Building Regulations - Relevance to Electrical Services Design
- Section 5 - ESB Supply Arrangements – MV, LV, 1 phase and 3 Phase
- Section 6 - Power Systems - Overview
- Section 7 - Lighting Systems - Overview
- Section 8 - Emergency Lighting Systems - Overview
- Section 9 - Fire Alarm and Fire Suppression Systems - Overview
- Section 10 - Security and BMS systems - Overview
- Section 11 - Telecommunication Services - Overview
- Section 12 - ATEX / Potentially Explosive Environments - Overview
- Section 13 - Lightning Protection Systems - Overview
- Section 14 - Renewable Energy Systems for Buildings - Overview
- Section 15 - Cables and Wiring Systems - Overview
- Section 16 - Surveys, Inspections and Reports
Who Should Attend?
This course will benefit graduate electrical engineers and contractors involved in the design of electrical services. The course is also suitable for mechanical engineers, quantity surveyors and facility managers who may wish to expand their knowledge of electrical building services.
Brendan Dervan is a Chartered Engineer with over 44 years’ experience in all aspects of mechanical and electrical building services including; design, installation, commissioning and maintenance. After completing an electrical apprenticeship in 1982 he went on to study electrical engineering in DIT. He has worked in M&E consultancy at senior engineer / director level since 1990. In 1999 he started his own M&E consultancy Dervan Engineering Consultants (DEC) which merged with Cundall in 2016. His Company provided M&E consultancy and project management services to a diverse range of clients in both the public and private sectors. He is owner and director of Best Training since 2019.
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email email@example.com