The Faculty of Engineering at IT Carlow consists of two academic departments: the Department of Aerospace, Mechanical & Electronic Engineering and the Department of Built Environment & Extended Campus. The Faculty has a long tradition of higher education programme delivery across a broad range of engineering and engineering related discipline areas, all of which contribute to the dynamic nature and diversity of the faculty. All Extended Campus programmes blend academic theory and practical experience allowing the learners to acquire the necessary knowledge, skill and competencies.
The aim of this Level 7 programme is help learners develop themselves technically and psychologically as leaders and to bring leadership to their team, department or organisation.
Learners will be able to:
• Apply recent advances in the behavioural sciences to improve individual and organisational performance.
• Demonstrate how individual and organisational mindsets can be managed to help reach their full potential as leaders.
• Initiate any personal behavioural changes needed to develop the learner’s leadership presence and effectiveness.
• Improve engagement and motivation within teams and organisations.
• Leadership: the role of the leader and providing effective leadership.
• The Neuroscience of Leadership: Utilising the latest research to improve leadership performance.
• Employee Engagement and Motivation: an outcome of effective leadership.
• Organisational Culture: managing culture for enhanced performance.
• Change Leadership: Leading sustained change within the organisation
Mick O'Brien currently lectures on a range of programmes up to and including NFQ Level 9 in Leadership and Organisational Change, specialising in the application of research in the Behavioural Sciences to provide effective leadership at different levels throughout an organisation.
A former Army Officer, he has experience in senior management positions and has delivered training to clients at the highest level within the Public and Private sector.
Four days with self study.
Assessment & certification
Continuous Assessment through completion of Assignments
Who should attend
The programme is suitable for anybody wishing to develop their leadership skills, particularly technical experts who may have spent years completing technical work without direct reports.