This four-module course has been designed and developed by a range of contributors to offer participants an extensive and varied range of topics relevant to the working objectives of local authority Climate Action Teams. From the scientific & policy context, the course describes the important role local authorities play in not only responding to the impacts of climate change through adaptation measures but also ways mitigation efforts can be promoted to deliver on emission reduction targets.
The course demonstrates how Local Authorities can take a leading role in meeting the challenges of climate change & take action on the implementation of climate adaptation strategies/action plans.
- On completion of the course, participants will have:
- Increased understanding & awareness of climate change & the role of Local Authorities in delivering climate action at the local scale
- Promote behavioural change, engage & empower Local Authorities to deliver climate action
- Upskill Local Authority staff in climate proofing council services, facilities & functions
- Build Local Authority capacity to foster & show leadership to other sectors & to communities in implementing climate action
The course comprises of 4 interconnected Modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to Climate Change
- Module 2: Climate Action Policy, Legislation and Targets
- Module 3: Climate Action at the Local Scale
- Module 4: Strategic Implementation & Leadership
Keith Lamkin - Senior Climatologist, Met Eireann
Ciaran Hayes - Fmr. Chief Executive Sligo Co.Co.
Dr. Barry O'Dwyer - Research Fellow, UCC
Dr. James Fitton Postdoctoral Researcher MaREI, UCC
Sean Keating - Fmr. Director of Service Tipp Co.Co. / LAWPRO
Alexandra Hamilton Chairperson, Association of Irish Energy Agencies / SEE at 3CEA
Conor Molloy & Raoul Empey (on behalf of) SEAI
Teresa Casserly - Senior Consultant & Director, IPA
Jack Keyes - Fmr Cavan County Manager / Associate Lecturer, IPA
3 days in person or 6 half days online
Assessment & certification
No formal assessment or certification. CPD Points available.
Who should attend
All Local Authority Climate Action Teams including Engineers Ireland members.
Please contact the Local Authority Services National Training Group on 076 106 6260 or email@example.com or https://www.lasntg.ie/