This course has been developed by researchers at the Centre for Energy, Climate and Marine (MaREI) at University College Cork as part of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications funded Climate Ireland programme in collaboration with the the Climate Action Regional Offices (CARO), City & County Management Association (CCMA), Local Government Management Agency (LGMA) and the Local Authority National Services Training Group (LANSTG).
To increase awareness among all local authority staff of the challenge posed by climate change, the role & actions being taking by the local government sector and opportunities for individual LA staff.
On completion of the course, participants will have:
- An understanding and awareness of global climate change and how these global changes are reflected in Ireland’s climate;
- An increased awareness of climate action, international and national climate action policy;
- An understanding of existing and planned actions being taken by the Local Authority sector in response to the challenges posed by climate changes;
- An increased capacity to foster / demonstrate Local Authority leadership
The course comprises an introductory session and 3 interconnected Modules:
- Module 1: Climate Change: The Physical Science
- Module 2: Climate Action Policy, Legislation and Targets
- Module 3: Delivering Climate Action: The Role of, and opportunities for, the Local Authority Sector
Dr. Barry O’Dwyer is a research fellow at University College Cork with over a decade of experience working in the area of climate change and adaptation. Dr. James Fitton is a postdoctoral researcher MaREI Centre for Energy Climate and Marine, University College Cork. James' research supports the implementation of effective, sustainable and socially just adaptation actions. Mr Dan Casey is a software engineer at the MaREI Centre for Energy, Climate and the Marine, University College Cork.
Between 2 - 3 hours duration
Assessment & certification
Assessment based on multiple choice questions. No formal certification. CPD Points available.
Who should attend
All Local Authority staff including Engineers Ireland members working in the Local Authority Sector
Please contact the Local Authority Services National Training Group on 076 106 6260 or email@example.com or https://www.lasntg.ie/