IMR is Ireland's leading independent research and technology organisation, RTO. All Irish Manufacturing Research’s projects focus on translational innovation projects, in collaboration with industry, to demystify, de-risk and deliver emerging concepts, processes and technologies.
This course is intended to provide attendees with a high-level introduction to the fundamentals of Augmented and Virtual Reality as applicable to the Manufacturing industry.
At the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
• Understand the fundamental applications of VR, AR and Mixed Reality.
• Identify the key equipment and software applicable to their particular use case or application of interest.
• Be competent in the safe use of AR and VR equipment.
• Become aware of the challenges facing the industry at present.
TOPIC 1: FIRST EXPERIENCE OF XR
• Health & Safety of XR
• VR Experience
• AR Experience
• SmartGlasses Experience
TOPIC 2: INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS OF XR
• Virtual Training
• Guided Assistance
• Collaboration/ Remote Assistance
• 3D Visualisations
TOPIC 3: INDUSTRIAL XR CASE STUDIES
• Guided Assistance using Microsoft Guides
• Overlaid 3D instructions via Vuforia
• Product Review via Model Viewer
• Microsoft Teams via RealWear
• Remote Assistance via HoloLens
TOPIC 4: XR HARDWARE OVERVIEW
• Head Mounted VR Devices
• Head Mounted AR Devices
• Handheld Devices
TOPIC 5: CHALLENGES OF INDUSTRIAL XR
• Industrial Health & Safety
• Build or Buy?
• Looking to the future
• Rollout & Scaling
Sam DelGreco XR Technical Lead
Sam is the technical lead for the XR team within IMR.
Sam is also an involved member of the international XR community, attending and presenting at XR events. He has extensive knowledge of the XR technology area and is a contributing member of the International Standards Committee, working on ISO IEC 5927 for AR & VR.
Darragh McShane SW Project Manager
Darragh is responsible for project oversight within the Software Engineering team, with a particular focus on XR. Darragh has close to 20 years of experience delivering technology solution projects through the full project lifecycle across the telecoms, aerospace, automotive and healthcare sectors
Charlie Behan Senior XR Engineer
Charlie develops XR applications to solve problems faced in manufacturing.
Charlie has 3 years of experience with IMR. His background in game development gives him the skills needed to develop detailed 3D applications to meet a variety of industrial use cases.
Ciarán Mooney XR Developer
Ciarán is responsible for developing and maintaining in-house XR content management systems and 360 tour applications. Ciarán has a BEng in Computing for the Games Industry from DkIT coupled with several years of development experience in the financial sector.
1 Day. Instructor-led training, face-to-face.
Assessment & certification
Who should attend
• IT professionals tasked with introducing AR/VR to their organisations.
• Training Managers exploring more immersive ways of training/onboarding staff offline.
• Process Engineers/Managers looking for swifter outcomes and reduced downtime/travel budgets when seeking technical support on critical equipment.
• Quality personnel seeking new ways of introducing efficiency improvements across their manufacturing processes.
• Design Engineers wishing to explore new ways of collaborating or interacting virtually with new design concepts.