CPD Credit: 6.5 hours, C1
This course is an introduction to the design of reinforced concrete buildings using Eurocode 2. The basis of design is supplemented with practical worked examples covering the design of the main structural elements. The course will also introduce the topic of sustainability in structural design.
Eurocode is a new generation of codes which departs from the previous prescriptive approach to a more robust and consistent alternative. It introduces many new structural design concepts in a generalised form. This approach can provide the designer with the tools needed to design both simple and more complex cases. However, this generalisation entails deeper understanding of the design concepts. This course covers the background of Eurocode 2 design principles, the relation to other Eurocodes and previous codes, and the application of the design principles in the design of reinforced concrete building structures.
The course will also introduce the topic of sustainability in structural design, the effects of design decisions on embodied carbon and possible ways to reduce it.
Practical workshop sessions allow delegates to get to grips with the details and be confident of using Eurocode 2 for real projects.
- Background to Eurocode
- Basis of structural design
- Materials, loads, and load combinations
- Durability, fire, and concrete cover
- Sustainability and structural design
- Structural analysis
- Design of basic structural elements
- Strut-and-tie method
- Detailing of reinforcement
Upon completion of this course, delegates should be able to:
- Understand the main principles of reinforced concrete design to Eurocode requirements
- Application of these principles in the design of basic reinforced concrete buildings
- Understand the consequences of design decisions on embodied carbon
- Understand and apply Eurocode 2 reinforcement detailing principles in design
Who Should Attend?
- Engineers with some experience in reinforced concrete design
- Engineers with design experience based on codes other than Eurocode
- Engineers seeking an overview of the code to understand and manage current design standards
- Refresher course to update existing knowledge
Salam Al-Sabah is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of Engineers Ireland working as a consultant with Arup. He has over 35 years of structural engineering design and research experience. He worked on many structural engineering projects with challenging aspects such as the new Visual Control Tower at Dublin airport, Boland’s Mill, and Bord Gáis Energy Theatre. His design and research interests are in applying fundamental engineering methods to structural analysis, design, and detailing of reinforced concrete and steel structures with the aim of producing efficient solutions to structural engineering designs.
Engineers Ireland supports the Sustainable Development Goals. This event contributes to Engineers Ireland's Sustainability Framework.
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org