CPD Credit: 6.5 hours, C2
The purpose of this course is to introduce the concepts and methods of data analysis and visualisation, with an emphasis on using visualisation to tell the stories behind the data.
This course is intended as an introduction to digital storytelling, data analytics and visualisation. This course will provide a broad conceptual understanding of modern data visualisation concepts and techniques, and is perfect for someone who is already working with data, wishing to use it effectively to tell their story.
After the course, the participants should be able to:
- Understand the principles of effective visual storytelling
- Understand the different approaches to data visualisation
- Understand the importance of data quality in data visualisation
- Understand the processes behind data visualisation, from modelling to manipulation and presentation
- Analyse datasets visually using Power BI
- Use tools such as Power BI to convert data into charts, interactive dashboards and data stories
- Introduction to Data Visualisation
- Colour theory and narrative
- Data Manipulation and Transformation; Data Quality
- Storytelling with data. Correlating data and events using charts and dashboards.
- Introduction to Tools and Software
- Excel & Power Query
- PowerBI and other mainstream tools
- Case Study Examples
- Hands-On Exercises
Who Should Attend?
Data Analysts and those using data to create visualisation and presentations, and to gain insights from their data.
Those seeking an overview of the Data Visualisation and Digital Storytelling fields and the tools and techniques involved.
Dr. Owen Molloy BE MEngSc PhD
Owen is a Lecturer in Computer Science at the University of Galway since 1999. Prior to joining UoG he worked in various roles in industry, from Software Engineering to Management. He received his doctorate from NUIG in 1995 on the topic of Design for Manufacturing, and his research interests lie in the areas of Systems Thinking, Business Process Management and Simulation, applied to areas as diverse as Ocean Literacy and Healthcare. In 2020 he launched a new HDip programme in Data analytics and Visualisation at NUIG, funded by HCI, and is currently programme director for a new online postgraduate diploma in Cloud Computing. Owen has over 70 publications, and is a Chartered Engineer with Engineers Ireland.
Please contact the Team for further information on scheduled course dates and In-Company options. You can reach us by phone: 01 665 1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org