Why have a Code of Ethics?
The engineering profession requires a high standard of scientific education and specialised training, formation and experience. We should adhere to an appropriate Code of Ethics as an essential characteristic of our profession.
Due to the rights and obligations of our profession, our Code of Ethics must be clearly defined, to ensure that individual members:
- Behave at all times with integrity
- Remain aware of their responsibilities to themselves, to society, to their clients, employers and colleagues
- Strive to maintain the highest levels of competence in their respective technical disciplines
- Seek to enhance and promote the standing of the profession and its practitioners
Code of practice for advertising or publication
This code lays down standards for members who publish, or authorise the publication of, advertisements announcing their practice or availability.
The code also outlines standards for the tone and content of these publications or advertisements.
- See Appendix 1 of the Code for full details.
These are the rules that govern our organisation and our members, in accordance with our Charter and the Acts of the Oireachtas of 1960.